Portuguese red pepper paste is traditionally made with two parts sweet pepper to one part...
Herb Pasta with Bacon, Shallots and Mushroom Recipe - USA
Herb Pasta with Bacon, Shallots and Mushroom Recipe
Plummeting temperatures and hearty food go hand-in-hand, and for us here at Consiglio’s that means ringing in the New Year with an original Herb Pasta recipe from our very own Chef Angela Consiglio.
In her recipe, Angela increases the depth of flavour in the pasta by including assorted finely-chopped herbs in the pasta dough, giving it a robust yet fresh flavour. While here we use parsley and basil, you can use the same technique to include the herbs of your choice, adjusting the final flavour profile to your specific tastes.
Angela pairs her herb pasta noodles with a simple sauce of bacon, shallots and assorted mushrooms - follow her vision and recipe for an incredible hearty and tasty meal to get through the cold weather, or use our noodle recipe as a jumping off point to create your own incredible dish!
Herb Pasta with Bacon, Shallots and Assorted Mushrooms
Chef Angela Consiglio
Herb Pasta Dough Ingredients:
- 3.5 cups of all-purpose flour (600 grams)
- 6 whole eggs
- ¼ cup finely chopped assorted herbs (parsley, basil)
- Place the flour on a smooth clean countertop.
- Make a well in the centre.
- Crack eggs into well of flour. Using a fork whisk eggs gently to break yolks.
- Next, add the chopped herbs. Whisk to gently incorporate with eggs.
- With a fork in a consistent circular motion (clockwise) gradually mix the eggs with the flour. Pulling small amounts of flour each time you make a circular motion. Try not to break the well or walls of flour until most flour is incorporated. We want to avoid the eggs running over the countertop.
- Once most of the flour is incorporated form a ball and begin kneading the dough.
- Continue to knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes or until the pasta dough is smooth and resembles the texture of leather.
- Wrap in clear wrap and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Rolling out the Pasta:
- Follow the instructions for your pasta machine.
- Cut the pasta dough into quarters. Take one quarter out and rewrap the rest of the dough, set aside until needed.
- Lightly flour the quarter of pasta dough. Place through the pasta lasagna rollers set at the widest setting. Continue to pass the pasta through the machine adjusting the roller setting, until about the second last thinnest setting or until you are satisfied with the thinness of pasta.
- Finally, I recommend using a wide style pasta for this hearty recipe, such as: pappardelle, mafaldine or lasagnette. Once you choose your pasta style, run the lasagna sheets through that desired pasta attachment.
- Lay cut pasta on a pasta drying rack or lay flat on lightly floured tea towels.
Bacon, Shallots and Mushroom Sauce Ingredients:
- 4 shallots, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of Chili flakes
- 4 slices bacon, medium slice (lardon)
- 400 grams assorted mushrooms, chopped (portobello, crimini, shiitake, king oyster etc.)
- 1 cup white wine
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Basil to garnish (3-4 leaves)
- Shavings of Parmigiano cheese to garnish (1-2 Tablespoons)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil to cook the homemade pasta.
- Heat a large deep braiser or pan.
- Add half the olive oil, chili flakes, shallots and garlic. Let cook for 3 minutes until translucent.
- Add in the bacon. Cook until the bacon is lightly golden.
- Next, add in mushrooms. Stir and let sauté for 4-5 minutes until mushrooms are lightly golden.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine, bring to boil, turn down to a simmer and reduce wine volume by about 50 percent. Add a few cracks of freshly ground pepper and a few pinches of salt.
- Next, add in butter and additional light drizzle of olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning (salt/pepper).
- Once pot of water is boiling add pasta and cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender to the bite.
- Add cooked pasta to bacon and mushroom mixture. Toss to coat pasta.
- Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with shavings of Parmigiano cheese, torn basil and drizzle with remaining olive oil.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for product demos, reviews, recipes and more!