Gluten Free Almond Berry Squares by Chef Angela Consiglio
Almond flour is a wonderful alternative for those looking for a gluten free friendly dessert. Not only is almond flour gluten free friendly but it also adds flavour and texture to baked desserts. This Almond Berry Squares recipe is similar to the previously blogged ‘Rustic Crostata’ recipe originally inspired by my Nonna Angela. The main differences in this recipe include a 9x9 inch square baking pan and almond flour. The square baking pan supports a finger friendly dessert that is great to serve at large parties. Although I would love to have used only almond flour in this recipe as it adds such a subtle sweet and delicate flavour profile, when recipe tested it did not hold together as desired for a square which requires a sturdy base to support the filling and top layer. This is why the incorporation of all-purpose gluten free flour which has a binding agents known as ‘tapioca flour’ and ‘xanthan gum’ are needed.
Ingredients for Crust:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 lemon- zest only
- 2/3 cup Crisco
- 2 eggs
- Non-stick baking spray
Ingredients for Raspberry Filling:
- 2 cups mixed berries of your choice (raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, strawberry-frozen or fresh
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsps corn starch
1. Preheat oven to 350ᵒ F. Spray 9x9 inch square baking pan with non-stick spray.
2. In a medium pot place berries, 1 cup of sugar and corn starch, stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Stir often for about 3 to 4 minutes or until consistency is jam like and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Once done, set aside.
3. Next, add all ingredients for the crust to a large bowl or electric kitchen mixer (fitted with the paddle attachment). Begin working ingredients together. Continue working the dough until it holds together and can be formed into a rough ball.
4. Next, take 2/3rds of the dough and spread onto the base and sides of the baking pan. Pour the berry filling in evenly. Finally, with the remaining dough take small pieces and lightly flatten it between your fingers. Then place flattened dough over berry filling leaving some of the fruit exposed.
5. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until evenly golden brown in colour. Serve at room temperature.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for product demos, reviews, recipes and more!